Saturday, June 30, 2012

POEM: "The Bar Life"

The Bar Life


She sits down too close to me
and orders a bottle of red wine
already loaded fast busting up
with her boyfriend on the phone
so she can tell me to fuck off
when I ask her if she’s OK
no that wasn’t what happened
twenty minutes later a guy shows up
they share a glass he’s smiling
then she tells him to fuck off
thank god for every small mercy
ringtone and she’s on it pissed off
my guess her parents I got my rights
rings off passes out suddenly on bar
stirs to tell the guy to fuck off again
who’s still grinning unaccountably
a new neurone in the morons club
ringtone again and she’s back at it
with some other poor bastard
sure she’s marginally beautiful
almost certainly terminally stupid
and inside the same universe tonight
some dumb things are going to happen.


© 2012 Rob Schackne

No comments:

Post a Comment