Monday, December 1, 2014

POEM: "Awed (I)"



Awed (I)
                              

We do I guess because others don’t 
Because the others gave up too early 
Sound drove them on like the drone of bees 
They ran out and covered their heads. 

So take away music, take away words 
Take away the colours and the birds
Steal love and steal the seasons too
How much the spectrum changes.


That field of corn 
would never see a plow
that field of corn 

would be deserted now
a man is born 

but he's no good no-how
without a song


Slam through time, study the light
Shake it till it rattles no more. Shout
Like there's no tomorrow. Scream away
The rough bits and crackles. Why do I care?


The torch is out. The wind is up. You
And me, us and them, antidote of the anger
Dark is done. After silence, after violence
The stranger emerges alive and well.


What? My inspiration is under my arm 
It's behind my knees, in a cup of coffee
It’s in your cup of coffee. Productive?
I don’t think so. It’s almost everywhere.


© 2014 Rob Schackne


_______________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGH34KW2v4I&index=6&list=PL295AF154086CF7BE

2 comments:

  1. The musical reader will know that "Without a Song" is a popular song with music by Vincent Youmans and lyrics by Billy Rose and Edward Eliscu, published in 1929. It was included in the musical play, "Great Day".

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. The great Eddie Albert sings it in 1958.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=148WIJl6V88&list=PL295AF154086CF7BE&index=3

    ReplyDelete