Monday, May 9, 2016

POEM: "Of The Silence Before Dawn"



Of The Silence Before Dawn 

                 Puedo escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.                                                                                         Pablo Neruda

Tonight I can write the saddest lines 
you wrote when you remembered losing her
the sky is still there to see her starry eyes again
I sit at my desk feeling the spaces of the infinite
the memories unfold like fresh sheets on a bed
night is almost finished and the birds start to sing
when at last I lay down my pen and try to sleep
these words settle on my soul like dew on a pasture
you wrote when you looked for her voice in the wind
I fell down in the street, I got up in the street
I fell in love with the morning of the street
its sick airs and purpose, just another day
that didn't care much what I did, if my walk
was to here or there, to sit, or watch, or wait

in all the silence and the poems I can't keep
it didn't matter where I was trying to get
I was in a vague path in her direction, she was
sleeping while I was floating, and we almost met.


© 2016 Rob Schackne

No comments:

Post a Comment